EtanerceptEtanercept (Enbrel®, biosimilar Benepali®) is a chimeric protein consisting of the extracellular ligand binding domain of human TNF receptor-2 and the Fc domain of human IgG1, used to reduce inflammation.
Etanercept is a dimer of a chimeric protein consisting of the extracellular ligand binding domain of human tumour necrosis factor receptor-2 (TNFR2/p75) and the Fc domain of human IgG1, produced by recombinant DNA technology in a Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) mammalian expression system.
Mechanism of action
Etanercept competitively inhibits TNF binding to its cell surface receptors, thereby inhibiting the biological activity of TNF. TNF and lymphotoxin are pro-inflammatory cytokines that bind to two distinct cell surface receptors: the 55- kilodalton (p55) and 75-kilodalton (p75) TNF receptors (TNFRs).
TNF and lymphotoxin exist predominantly as homotrimers, with their biological activity dependent on cross-linking of cell surface TNFRs. Dimeric soluble receptors, such as etanercept, possess a higher affinity for TNF than monomeric receptors and thus more potent competitive inhibitors of TNF binding. Rendering TNF biologically inactive prevents TNF-mediated cellular responses, and consequently reduces symptoms of inflammatory conditions.
In Europe, etanercept is an anti-inflammatory medicine indicated for treatment of:
- (with or without methotrexate) in adutls with moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis
- certain forms of juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- psoriatic arthritis in adults who have not responded adequately to other treatments
- severe ankylosing spondylitis in adults who have not responded adequately to other treatments
- plaque psoriasis in adults with moderate to severe disease and in patients from the age of six years with long-term severe disease.
- Severe non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis when there are objective signs of inflammation but no abnormalities seen on x-ray.
Consult CHMP for details.
What can Sanquin do for you?
We can measure the levels of free drug in the serum; levels of therapeutic antibodies are assessed using validated ELISAs. As we have hands-on experience in these assays, we can provide you with accurate and reproducible test results.
Send in samples
If you want to use our drug level testing services, fill out this form and send it to us along with 1 ml frozen serum sample per patient.